Important Information for Hauliers Moving Goods to the EU from 1 Jan 2021

If you are a haulier moving goods to the EU, then it is crucial you obtain the necessary information from your customers and that they have taken the necessary steps to assemble such information before 1 January 2021. If not, then the consequence might be delay or even consignments being rejected.

From 01 January 2021, you will need the correct driver, vehicle, cargo and customs documents.

Every vehicle will need:

  • (From your customers):
    • A Movement Reference Number (MRN) for standard customs procedures
    • A Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) for goods moving under transit
    • A Temporary Admission (ATA) Carnet, or a Transport Internationaux Routiers (TIR) Carnet to goods moving using these customs processes
    • Additional paperwork, for example an Export Health Certificate or Catch Certificate, for plant, animal or restricted goods
  • Motor Insurance Green Card(s)
  • A GB Sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailers if your company is GB based (even if the number plate includes the GB identifier under the EU logo).

Your customer will also need to make an Entry Summary Declaration (safety and security declaration) into the Import Control System (ICS) of the EU country you are travelling to.

Every driver will need:

  • A Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
  • Passport
  • An Operator’s Licence and UK Licence for the Community
  • A Driving Licence, and potentially an International Driving Permit for some EU countries.

On 10 December, the EU published a proposed temporary contingency measure which would, if a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) is not agreed, enable UK hauliers to continue to carry out some journeys to and from the EU without the need for any permits for 6 months (until 30 June).

It would also allow UK hauliers to transit the Republic of Ireland on journeys to and from Northern Ireland, but it would not provide transit to third countries, cabotage or cross-trade. All hauliers who applied for ECMT permits for 2021 have received a response and have until 23 December to decide whether they wish to take those permits up.

The Haulier Handbook details all the requirements for moving goods and how each of the EU country systems operate. We urge you to carefully review this document.

The government have also introduced the ‘Check an HGV is Ready’ service. It will help you check whether you have the right documents to cross the border. It will be compulsory for any HGV using the crossing in Kent – and using the service will give drivers a valid Kent Access Permit (KAP).